четверг, 26 июля 2007 г.

30+ Simple Stocking Stuffers for a Preschooler, Toddler, and Baby

30+ Simple Stocking Stuffers for a Preschooler, Toddler, and Baby
Buying things that you know will delight your children is SO MUCH FUN! Of course, being a natural-minded, simple-lifestylin' mama, I am careful not to go overboard in the buying of cheap junk, and instead try to pick items that I know they will love and use for a long time. Here's what we chose.

Without a doubt stocking stuffers were my favourite part of Christmas morning as a child.


My siblings and I would wake up super early and wait not-so-patiently in our rooms until the agreed-upon time (usually 7, I think – such cruel torture! and yes, I’m absolutely doing the same to my kids). Then we’d bound out of bed and wake our parents, who groggily told us to go to the living room and get our stockings (but DON’T TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!).


We’d haul them back to our parents’ room, and all five of us (plus the cat) would tear into them with gusto and excitement. One year I got a cassette tape of Michael W. Smith’s “The First Decade”, and oh how I loved that album (“You don’t have to, you don’t have to, you don’t have to be picture perfect”). I always felt an extra amount of awe when I got something “big” in my stocking like the year I got my first sportswatch. (with blue indiglo! score!)


Little did I know, as that scrawny red-haired girl with boundless energy and exuberance for life, that I’d be even more excited about buying and stuffing stockings for my own kids one day.


If I had fun, my parents must have been having a total ball. Buying things that you know will delight your children is SO MUCH FUN! Of course, being a natural-minded, simple-lifestylin’ mama, I am careful not to go overboard in the buying of cheap junk, and instead try to pick items that I know they will love and use for a long time.


For the four-year-old (boy), we got the following:


  • Colouring book and a new box of crayons
  • A sheet of stickers, transportation-themed
  • Small bottle of white glue for crafts
  • Small snack-sized bag of gluten-free pretzels
  • A “big-boy” (non-sippy) Klean Kanteen in red, his favourite colour
  • A real wristwatch (digital) that was just $9
  • Blue “floppy friend” – you push underneath the base and he collapses, then stands up again when you let go
  • A package of craft feathers
  • A blank wooden door hanger to decorate for his & sister’s bedroom
  • Pomegranate & bamboo goat’s milk soap (sounds like an odd choice for a 4-year-old boy, but he loves playing with soap in the bathtub)
  • A mini-flashlight
  • 5 mini tubes of glitter glue (a new love)
  • 2 juice boxes of pure apple juice (we only drink water at home normally)

For the two-year-old (girl), we got the following:


  • Colouring book and a new box of crayons
  • Sticker album & stickers
  • Fuzzy socks
  • 5 mini tubes of glitter glue
  • A mini-flashlight
  • A package of pink underwear (by request)
  • Hair elastics with bows
  • 4 Hairbands with bows
  • Green “floppy friend” like her brothers (see above)
  • A little-girl-sized necklace with blue butterfly beads
  • A cute long-sleeved peasant top that I found at the dollar store
  • A “big-girl” (non-sippy) Klean Kanteen in pink, her favourite colour
  • 2 juice boxes of pure apple juice
  • one bottle of “Piggy Paint” – a non-toxic nail polish

For the 6-month-old baby (boy), we got the following:


  • 2 little wooden toy cars, handcrafted in Prince Edward Island, bought last summer
  • A 3-pack of new socks
  • Christmas bib with a snowman that says “Just chillin'”
  • A board book called “You are My I Love You”
  • A wooden pull-along bunny, handcrafted in PEI, bought last summer

In addition to stockings, we got the older two kids a board game to share (Hungry Hippos). We also got them each a new book, and a doll. Yes… we got our son a doll (his name is Walter).


We also got one box of non-HFCS candy canes to share (bought at Whole Foods). These are a definite treat!


We didn’t get Canaan (the baby) anything in addition to the stocking. My rule of thumb is that you don’t need a ton of gifts until you’re old enough to open them (assuming you have two older siblings and already have everything you need, plus extended family to “spoil” you too). Also – we’re kinda broke… so keeping it simple was perfect all around.


What is the thing you are most excited about giving your kids this Christmas? For me, it’s definitely the dolls – I know they will be so loved.


What kinds of stocking stuffers do you like to buy?


Original article and pictures take redandhoney.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий