вторник, 31 июля 2012 г.

Healthy To-Go Lunches for Little Ones (And 5 Places We Take Them Other Than School)

Healthy To-Go Lunches for Little Ones (And 5 Places We Take Them Other Than School)

Check out my Allergy-Friendly Snacks for Kids or my popular Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Cornbread!


pinnable lunch

Occasionally, I’ll get a compliment about how well my kids behave during church. (I also, occasionally, sprint out of the building like it’s on fire, because I’m embarrassed/because it’s been the longest hour of my life.)


When I do get the compliments, though, I always have the same reply… “It’s the lunches…it’s all the lunches!”


I’ve also gotten quite a few orders for these puppies from adults…And, let’s be honest, I’ll sneak a few fistfuls of raisins myself every once in a while…


Here are a few snapshots of our to-go lunches.


I love these lunchboxes by Bento. I ordered a batch a few years ago, and the lids wouldn’t close, but the most recent ones we ordered are perfect. (Actually…my sister ordered them. Thanks, Jenny!)


I never thought I’d be one of those moms who photograph lunches they make…But sometimes, they look so darn cute, I can’t resist.


lunches 1

#1:


  • Sunbutter and honey sandwich on wheat bread
  • Banana
  • Cheerios, raisins, and Enjoy Life chocolate chips
  • Fruit Salad (peaches, cantelope, and grapes)
  • Wheat Crackers

lunch 2

#2


  • Sunbutter and fruit-juice sweetened jelly spread on wheat bread
  • Banana
  • Plain corn chips (not exactly “healthy,” but at least they only have three ingredients…)
  • Hummus and tomato halves
  • Berry Salad
  • YumEarth Organic Lollipops (I know, I know; it’s sugar…but nothing like a lollipop to keep a kid quiet for at least 2.5 minutes, right?)

lunch 3

#3


  • Nitrate-free ham slices
  • Banana
  • Wheat Crackers
  • Trader Joe’s Apple Sticks
  • Hummus
  • Fruit Salad (peach, plum, and grapes)

Oh, the places we go with these lunches!


My kids are 150% more well-behaved when they are a) occupied and b) full. So am I, come to think of it. Anyway, here’s where we bring these guys:


  • Doctor’s offices (I disinfect the chair, the floor, the walls…just about everything first.)
  • The Beach – Use the handy trick of baby powder to clean sand off their hands first, and just make them stay seated while eating it. A few of our favorite beach snacks: Applesauce pouches, crackers, raisins, granola bars, carrot sticks, and rolled nitrate-free lunchmeat.
  • Church – My kids sit with me in the service usually. They know they don’t get their snack until after the singing and readings, when the sermon starts.
  • Parks – bring a blanket to sit on, and some wipes to get rid of those icky park germs!
  • The pool – Sometimes I feel like the pool tables are really gross, so I like to throw in these durable placemats my sister-in-law gifted us with!
  • The car – Even if they’re not eating a “meal” in the car, I pack the lunchbox full of healthy snack items. They love it!

What other healthy items do you pack in your kids’ lunches? Bonus points if it’s allergy-friendly!


Check out my other popular posts:


Not for slackers

best books

How to Introduce Your Child to Jesus

Follow "Smartter" Each Day on Facebook!


banner ad

Subscribe to "Smartter" Each Day



Original article and pictures take smarttereachday.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий