вторник, 9 апреля 2013 г.

How to Clean Cast Iron

How to Clean Cast Iron

Today you will have the honor of seeing my cast iron skillet covered in a layer of crusty scrambled egg residue. This is so special. Thank you for sharing this fine moment with me.


cast iron5

In describing how I clean my cast iron, I’m also going to reveal to you what is, in fact, my favorite of all the gadgets in my kitchen. It’s something I use many times each day (even more than my blender, and that’s saying something). I use this little gadget on cast iron skillets, on stoneware, and on my counter-tops to easily clean up flour or dough. My friends, allow me to introduce you to my BKFF (Best Kitchen Friend Forever) –


rubber scraper

It’s the best six dollars you’ll ever spend. Or if you already have the little brown ones that came with your Pampered Chef stoneware, you’re golden.


If you are one who hates cleaning your cast iron and even avoids using it entirely so that you don’t have to mess with cleaning it, I have two words for you: Rubber Scraper.


You guys. Cleaning cast iron is about the easiest job there is when you:


1) Soak the skillet or pot for a few minutes in hot water and

2) Use a rubber scraper to scrape all the food away.


If I didn’t have a rubber scraper, I would also hate cleaning my cast iron. I don’t even know how I would do it otherwise. Truly. How did Grandma clean her awesome skillets and griddle? I have no idea. Rubber scrapers rank up there in modern conveniences as high as cell phones and flush toilets. They are the exact same in their ability to improve life.


Allow me to present a step-by-step tutorial of my easy cast iron cleaning system:


1. Run hot water into the dirty, crusty skillet or griddle.


cast iron6

2. After a few minutes, use a rubber scraper to scrape away all the food residue.


cast iron2

3. Rinse the cast iron with hot water.


cast iron 1

4. Allow cast iron to air dry, or rub it dry with a tea towel.


cast iron 3

Before taking the above picture, I had just rubbed my skillet down with some coconut oil (or palm shortening – I can’t remember which). I rarely need to oil it down, but if you find your cast iron looking rusty or dry, rub in some coconut oil or palm shortening. They likes these fats as much as you and I do. Can you blame them?


Something to note:


Do not use soap on your cast iron.


It isn’t necessary and you don’t want it to absorb soap which will leech into your food. Hot water is all it needs. That and a rubber scraper.


Seriously, how did Grandma clean hers??


How to Clean Cast Iron

My favorite and most used cast iron pieces are…


A large skillet like this one:


cast iron 1

This big griddle:


cast iron 2

Those babies get used all the time at our house. Eggs, pancakes, meat, hashbrowns – my skillet and griddle make all of these naturally taste so much better!


None of you need to fear using your cast iron since you now know how to clean it easily! Rubber scrapers to the rescue. Who knew such a small, simple square piece of rubber would play such an important role in the kitchen?


Have cast iron? How do you clean it?


Original article and pictures take heavenlyhomemakers.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий